We’ve practically all been out to one of those sports bars that has jalapeño poppers on the appetizer menu. They always sound amazing but most of the time aren’t very good. They are either flavorless or extremely spicy! I decided there had to be a better way. A way that was easy yet pleasing to the palate.
That’s when I created my Queso Carnitas Poppers using Challenge Salsa Cream Cheese as the creamy heart and soul of my popper! This creation is perfect for a Sunday watching the game or an evening get together with friends and family. It’s extremely easy to assemble with very little mess and only a little cooking. I hope this dish quickly becomes a favorite of yours! Enjoy!
Yields 1 Dozen poppers
8 ounce tub Challenge Salsa flavored cream cheese
2 cups Mexican Four Cheese Blend
6 ounces Del Real Carnitas (diced & cooked according to directions on packaging)
1/4 cup finely diced onions
1/4 cup finely diced tomatoes
1/4 cup finely diced jalapeños (optional)
10 finely chopped cilantro leafs (optional)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 cup flour
2 beaten eggs
2 cups finely crumbled corn flakes or panco bread crumbs
Avocado Oil or your favorite frying oil
- Preheat oil in a deep pan or sauce pot. Once the oil begins to shimmer or it reaches 350 degrees it is ready.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the popper filling ingredients. Mix the ingredients thoroughly so that there isn’t any unmixed lumps of cream cheese.
- Form little 1/3 cup size balls. I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup to measure and to shape my poppers into a shape resembling a hockey puck .
- Using the standard breading procedure first dredge your poppers in flour, then in the egg wash, and then finally in the corn flakes. I like to use crumbled corn flakes but you can use panco bread crumbs instead.
- Once your oil is 350 degrees or has begun to shimmer you are ready to cook. Slowly lower the poppers into the hot oil using a slotted spatula or tongs. Once both sides of popper are crispy and brown remove from the oil.
- Place poppers on paper towels and pat dry.
- Serve immediately & enjoy!